Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A non-coach-endorsed break

Today marked a turning point in Couch to 5K. I haven't posted about it lately because I took a short mental health break. Give or take a few weeks.

It started when my coach left for his whirlwind basketball tour. There were a few days I didn't run because of rain. Those days turned into a few more because of . . . fatigue? pain? lack of motivation? disinterest at going it alone? Maybe it was a combination. It's fascinating to me that I ran religiously through the hottest part of the summer. Once the weather improved, I stopped. I figured I'd get back on the horse when my coach came home. Except I didn't, and then he went back to school.

I quickly realized that I was going to have to do it myself or admit defeat. A year ago I would have thrown in the towel and surrendered. But I'm tired of the negative doubt - from myself and others - and, most of all, of not meeting my own expectations.

So tonight I put my shoes back on and headed out. Day 49 is now in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment