Saturday, August 28, 2010

As far as I'm concerned, if something is so complicated that you can't explain it in 10 seconds, then it's probably not worth knowing anyway

I went to see Eat, Pray, Love this weekend. Enjoyed it, which surprised me. I wasn't sure what to expect. I had tried several times to read the book, but honestly . . . it was too high brow for me. I kept wondering what everyone was raving about. I couldn't get past Eat.

I found that a little distressing, actually. A book gets rave reviews and I don't get it.

It's not the first time this has happened. I've tried reading titles from a book club my friend belongs to. Doesn't work for me. And Oprah's Book Club picks? No thanks. I even subscribe to her magazine, but I rarely read an article all the way through. It's too much work.

Sometimes it feels like I'm not being invited to the party because I can't follow the conversation. I just want to be entertained. I don't want to think.

I want you to know I read lots of stuff. Fabulous stuff, actually. A bunch of magazines, every Kinsey Milhone and Stephanie Plum book, and lots of books I pick up at Target. And Calvin and Hobbes, every single day. Did you know I own the complete collection, in hardback?

It's hard to believe I passed my college literature class. But I did. Cliff Notes. Don't tell my kids.

UPDATE: I had just posted this when Carly put down the book she was reading and said, "I can't finish this, it's boring." OMG, it's genetic!

No comments:

Post a Comment