Monday, August 2, 2010

Would somebody please get me a drink?

There's nothing like a new year, a new job, a new something to make you feel like you've got possibilities, another chance. Something to look forward to. An opportunity to reform your no checkbook balancing, no bathroom cleaning ways.

That works when you're 43. But not when you're nine. Then new is bad. Really, really bad.

Ankeny released its classroom assignments today. And the tears flowed. It's the worst class EVER. (Hey, welcome to my club!)

I pulled out all the stops, all the super dooper parenting tricks I know. Including outright bribery, which, sad to say, usually works. Nothing. Inconsolable.

So I provided the Kleenex, the lap, and the listening ear -- and thought about my own fourth-grade experience. I didn't mention that fourth grade was one of the worst years EVER. My parents separated, kids started teasing me, and I was really glad when it was over.

Why does it have to be so hard? Now I need something to distract me.

No comments:

Post a Comment