Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Why hasn't ESPN called?

The cross country season winds down this week. Today's meet was the county invitational at a hilly course in Altoona. For those of you reading outside central Iowa, you are missing out on some of the best weather I can remember. Sunny and warm. I hope it is this nice wherever you are.

The Ankeny Hawks took third in this one, as did Riley. His "official" time was 11:31, but I may lodge a one-mom protest. I could have sworn the clock read 11:10. Of course I may have had a drink or two by that point in the afternoon, but that is a whole other story.


Can you spot Riley is this video masterpiece? I was trying to capture what it is like when that huge group of boys takes off. Yes, I plan to keep my day job.

The coaches threw an end-of season pizza party for the kids after the meet. Each kid kept a journal tracking his/her goals and weekly progress. One of the questions from the first week was "Why do you want to run cross country?" Riley's reponse - to win. It made me laugh because, after all, what other reason could there possibly be?

I really love this sport. The only downside is that I didn't lose any weight running from point to point on the courses. What's up with that? The season winds down on Saturday at the state meet in Saydel. Stay tuned.

And for those of you wondering what I'll do when cross country ends, basketball starts on Sunday -- which means my housekeeping hiatus is about to begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment